Re: New possible SC: All functionality available in portrait / landscape, OR not?

On 30/04/2019 10:41, Abma, J.D. (Jake) wrote:

> *"Success Criterion 1.3.4 Orientation (Level AA): Content does not
> restrict its view and operation to a single display orientation, such as
> portrait or landscape, unless a specific display orientation is essential."*
>
> When reading through the Understanding docs though there are some parts
> which do not fit fine.
>
> Now I've talked about it a little bit in the call and Kathy wasn't sure
> we can change / update the Understanding doc to fit these kind of
> examples, I think it may and wonder what you think?!
>
> With some small changes we might not need another SC but may place it
> under this one
>
> Changes proposed are like:
>
> *Intent*

> *Some websites and applications automatically set and restrict the
> screen to a particular display orientation and expect that users will
> respond by rotating their device to match, but this can create problems.*

> *Some websites and applications automatically set or restrict the screen
> to a particular display orientation and expect that users will respond
> by rotating their device to match, but this can create problems. *
>
> => Changed "and" to "or"

This is fine, but does not capture the essence of "they don't set or
restrict the screen, they simply offer different content/functionality".
Which is why the subsequent  "Therefore..." doesn't logically follow.
This will likely need more than just a change of "and" to "or".

> => Comment for this sentence: This sentence hints at reflow, and while
> this is also a fail for the example given, the size of display is not
> changed when page is used on tablet or phone, only the orientation, and
> still offers other functionality.

Changes in orientation also change the size though (e.g. the viewport
width in CSS pixels changes when going from portrait to landscape ...
which can lead to differences in reflow, trigger other media queries,
etc) (to see it in action, go to http://mediaqueriestest.com/?vp=1 -
which sets explicit viewport meta to width=device-width - and watch how
the "width in px" changes when going from portrait to landscape on a
modern phone or tablet)

> Question is “do we still need another SC for this one or not”?

IF the SC can still be amended/tweaked, probably not. Otherwise, suggest
this becomes a AAA companion SC - so at AA, the requirement is not to
completely lock device/browser/site to only work at a particular
orientation (as per SC now), and at AAA it also says offer the same
content/functionality.

Also, probably worth noting that the same content/functionality does not
necessarily have to be on the same page? e.g. in portrait, the same
functionality may be in a separate dialog/subpage/whatever, whereas in
landscape it may be visible right there on the page?