Re: The two speech SCs

The intent of this SC is to help Speech engines such as Dragon where they
try to say "press start" button, but the offscreen label is "begin" so
nothing happens.

<button aria-label="begin"> Start</button>

I know it's a dumb thing to code like that, but it happens enough that
Dragon users get frustrated.

I don't think of aria-describedby as a label, I think of it as helper text.
(ACCDESCRIPTION vs ACCNAME) It would not be triggered by Dragon. So in your
example, if the speech user said "Additional invisible text" nothing would
happen. They would say "Visible Label" and it would accurately say the name.

However, I think your concern points out that we'll need to manage that in
the understanding, to well explain the intent, and to make it clear it is
not for screen readers and link to best practices for offscreen helper text
using aria-describedby etc...

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*