Re: Device manipulation

On 19/05/2016 23:09, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
> Well - the keyboard interface provision ensures that there is always at
> least that method (built in or connected keyboard operation)  for
> operating things - that will work for people who don’t have fine (or
> even any real ) pointing ability.

Then isn't the same provision also covering all other manners of device
manipulation? Shaking, tilting, etc? i.e. is the entire SC superfluous
because of the keyboard interface provision? (which, as a side note, I
assume also includes the more general concepts like moving
focus/activating a la VoiceOver/TalkBack ? I vaguely remember this being
discussed at some point, but beyond discussion points at
https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/mobile-a11y-tf/wiki/Keyboard_Access/Modality_Independent_Control/IndieUI
can't find a definitive resolution)

> But for those who can point but not well,  and for people with cognitive
> disabilities that might be confused with overloaded pointing options -
>  it could be very helpful to have these find pointing movement options
> be real options and not the only way.

So now I'm wondering if it's really an SC, or more of a nice-to-have
best practice technique (which doesn't necessarily have hard
pass/fails), more suitable for publication as a note or similar...but
that probably derails the whole argument further.