Re: AT overrides some touch gestures

On 16/03/2016 16:48, Alistair Garrison wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just a quick question - do any of you know if there are publicly
> available techniques for developers to follow to ensure that they
> avoid ATs overriding their touch gestures.  I've had a couple of
> issues recently with people building custom select boxes - which work
> with VoiceOver up to the point of being able to pick the item - they
> can open the select, focus on an item - but can't double tap to
> select.  It would be great to be able to point them to something
> concrete…

As a general rule, once AT is running, no touch events
(touchstart/touchmove/touchend) are fired directly (when the user is
actually moving their finger over the touchscreen) - unless a user
explicitly executed a passthrough gesture (if I recall, on iOS,
double-tap and keep finger on screen, then execute the gesture). Most
recent browsers/OSs with AT running will, however, fire "fake" touch
events on activation (double-tap) - see
http://patrickhlauke.github.io/touch/tests/results/#mobile-tablet-touchscreen-assistive-technology-events

In short, if the custom scripting is reliant on handling
touchstart/touchmove/touchend, it's usually not going to work (or not
going to work as expected).

HTH