Re: FW: [WebAIM] Color of link text

Taking a step back, though, note that: for touch (WITHOUT AT) users,
there is no hover, so hover can't be used to provide additional hints
that something's a link.

While for touch (WITHOUT AT) links do receive focus, this only happens
when they've been tapped/activated, which is of course too late (at that
point, the user already worked out something's a link, OR they
accidentally tapped not knowing it was a link, so either way the link is
already being followed).

For touch+AT users, AT like TalkBack, VoiceOver, Narrator force an
additional strong focus indicator by default. While adding an extra
:focus style for links won't hurt, note that not all browsers in the
touch+AT scenario actually fire focus/apply :focus styles when receiving
the touch+AT focus (see
https://patrickhlauke.github.io/touch/tests/results/#mobile-tablet-touchscreen-assistive-technology-events
for the JS events, but the situation is the same for application of CSS
:focus styles).

For nominally "mobile" devices (phones, tablets) with paired external
mouse or keyboard, the behavior is the same as for desktop equivalents,
so G183 applies unchanged.

In short, I'd say we should add a note to G183 saying that it does NOT
apply to touchscreen input (without AT), since there's generally no
concept of hover for touchscreen devices, and that focus is applied only
after the user initiated an interaction/activation.