Re: Proposal: expanding/modifying Guideline 2.1 and its SCs (2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3) to cover Touch+AT

On 04/07/2016 23:03, Gregg Vanderheiden RTF wrote:

> Patrick is proposing:
>
>   * that authors support high-level device/input agnostic events
>   * that these not replace the requirements of 2.1 for
>     keyboard-interface support but rather supplement them

Doing the first covers the second for the majority of cases.

> Things *FOR* putting the two *TOGETHER*.
>
>   * they both look much the same - so why create a second SC that looks
>     the same rather than add the high level device/input agnostic events
>     to 2.1

Well, it would not be one SC, but replicating 1 whole Guideline (2.1), 3
SCs (2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3), and related documentation/understanding.

>   * <patrick - I looked for more but didnt see them.   add them here >
>

> Things *FOR* having them be *SEPARATE*
>
>   * they are two requirements — and we don’t put two requirements in one SC

Not two distinct requirements. Doing the high-level events covers
keyboard in most cases (more stringently than doing custom keyboard
handlers).

>   * they are similar - and will both be recognized and followed best if
>     they each are their own SC so they can be compared and differences
>     noticed
>   * it makes it easier to tell which sufficient techniques go with which
>     requirement  (SC)

Once generalised, the techniques would be the same.

>   * 2.1 can’t be changed — so creating another SC rather than talking
>     about editing 2.1 will create less confusion

Ok, so I'm getting conflicting information here. I embarked on this
whole exercise after being told that for WCAG 2.1 was open to having
actual current guidelines/SCs rewritten. I would not have bothered with
this whole thing otherwise. So which one is it? Can WCAG 2.1 only add,
not modify/revise existing wording?

>   * a ream of email paper has been spent establishing that this new
>     requirement is IN ADDITION TO rather than a change in 2.1.   Trying
>     to combine them into one would mean re-doing this again. (and again,
>     and )

I don't believe it's an addition, but a tightening (making the
requirement the user of high-level device/input agnostic event handlers
- but that this should not discourage authors, if they wish, to provide
additional keyboard-specific handling, the same way that they're not
discouraged to provide mouse-specific handling etc). But fair
enough...since you're closing the book on this already with you previous
point, expect incoming new guidelines/SCs which are essentially carbon
copies of the current 2.1/2.1.1/2.1.2/2.1.3 but replacing the word
"keyboard" with something generic to convey touch+AT and similar
scenarios...