Re: Research on touch target size

On 28/04/2016 15:37, Jeanne Spellman wrote:
> I had an action to contact the authors of a CSUN presentation on touch
> target size to ask about their research.  Jennifer Ismirle answered and
> is willing to answer questions next week if we have any.  She sent me
> her slide deck.
>
> The research is on accessible voting on an Android tablet.  She quoted
> other research as the basis for the size and spacing that they used in
> the study.  Remember how we started with 9mmx9mm? They used 20x20mm.  I
> followed her research, which led me to other research etc. One study
> recommends 30mmx30mm for people with disabilities.  Another showed at
> least 20x20 with reduced inaccuracy at larger sizes, but less significant.
>
> I started a wiki page.  I encourage others to add any of the information
> they have from.
>
> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/mobile-a11y-tf/wiki/Summary_of_Research_on_Touch/Pointer_Target_Size#Summary_of_Research_on_Touch.2FPointer_Target_Size

I quickly skimmed 3 of the referenced papers and added some quick
disclaimers (to do, as you probably guessed already, with the fact that
these studies provide button sizes/gap sizes in absolute physical
measures, and - as extensively discussed already - authors can't
guarantee actual physical measures as rendered on screen across all
possible devices/resolutions/user agents). Hope that's ok