Re: Question on Active state styling for links

I strongly agree with Jonathan. Feedback from electronic controls is
critical, and has a long history (subtle audio signal clicks on
telephone lines that many folks assume are part of the process of
connecting to a call). Users need to distinguish between something going
wrong (locked up phone, slow phone, connection blip, bad connection,
website just went down) and it going as expected. I think feedback is
not only critical but often missing and needs attention. This is an
accessibility issue because lack of feedback increases cognitive effort
and can increase steps.

Cheers,
Kim

On 7/8/2015 9:59 AM, Jonathan Avila wrote:
>> Is there a particular value in providing alternative styling for :active links in the mobile environment? That is, when the link is touched or clicked that there is a visible change in appearance.
> My opinion (and this is based on the BBC mobile standards and guidelines project) is that the user would benefit from feedback to know something happened when an interaction has occurred.  For example, if I tap and add button but it's not obvious that something was added to my cart a noticeable visual indicator would be very helpful.  This could be done by the add button changing in a way to show that it was activated or it could be some other visual item nearby changing or moving, etc.
>
> Jonathan
>
> --
> Jonathan Avila
> Chief Accessibility Officer