RE: Mobile A11y Taskforce will be meeting this week

Hi Detlev -

Here are the comments from the WCAG WG:

Review proposed First Public Working Draft (FPWD) of a W3C Note from the Mobile-A11y TF: Mobile Accessibility: How WCAG 2.0 and UAAG 2.0 Apply to Mobile Devices

Looks good. Publish.

Good job, it's short and sweet, and a welcome addition:

Some comments are:

1) In 2.2 Zoom/Magnification. Regarding the mapping between Mobile Zoom and 1.4.4 Resize.
Content can be zoomed that isn't text - should we call out that 1.4.4 relates more to actually resizing the text within the browser, and not using a browser 'feature' sure as magnification or zoom? So while from the users perspective they may amount to the same things (from the perception of the user) they aren't.

Also I think the statement 'To meet this requirement content must not prevent text magnification by the user.' is a little vague - a brief example/overview may help. Or say ' In order to ensure content doesn't prevent magnification': then follow with the examples.

Just some suggestions.

2) I'm not really sure what we are saying here 'Accessibility features geared toward specific populations of people with disabilities fall under the definition of assistive technology adopted by WCAG and thus cannot be relied upon to meet the success criteria. For example, a platform-level zoom feature that magnifies all platform content and has features to specifically support people with low vision is likely considered an assistive technology.'

This phrase makes me wonder how academic the distinction between old school AT and current 'native' AT a la screen reader/magnification etc is..Does this mean that 'real' text for example, or relative values for font sizes must be used for, the text to be resizable? If that is the case then maybe call it out?

3) Where the specific WCAG SCs are being mentioned, should they be highlighted with a nice background colour, border? Some graphic flourish?

4) In 4.5 Provide clear indication that elements are actionable - in the line:

"The WCAG 2.0 success criteria do not directly address issue of affordance but are related to:" should we define affordance? Or link to a glossary?

5) in 4.4

Bold : 2.4.4 Link Purpose (In Context) (Level A)
2.4.9 Link Purpose (Link Only) (Level AA)

Is this approval for FPWD, or just a preliminary comments round?

I would like to see the introduction paragraphs referencing WCAG2ICT and Mobile Web Application Best Practices expanded. More about why theye're mentioned there, relevance to this doc.

I would change "1.1 WCAG 2.0 and Mobile Content/Applications" to "1.1 Mobile Content/Applications" and include just the stuff introducing the mobile space. Then change "1.2 Other W3C-WAI Guidelines Related to Mobile" to "1.2 W3C-WAI Guidelines Related to Mobile", add a sub-heading about WCAG, and move content from the previous section here. Then continue with the ones about ATAG and UAAG. Keep the focus of this document mobile, not on a specific set of guidelines.

"See @@Touchscreen gesture instructions@@" should be sorted before publication.

If this is a publication review, I think it's ok to publish, preferably with the above notes addressed. I incline to wanting to see it organized more by mobile topic than by WCAG / UAAG organization, for a future version.

Looks great. It will be good to get more people reading and thinking about this and I'm very interested to see their feedback!

I like it - a lot of great info in this Note.

Kathy

CEO & Founder

Interactive Accessibility

T (978) 443-0798  F (978) 560-1251  C (978) 760-0682

E kathyw@ia11y.com

www.InteractiveAccessibility.com

NOTICE: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to the sender indicating that fact and delete the copy you received. Thank you.