FW: Urgent: About your talk at the MultilingualWeb workshop, Madrid

From: Denis Gikunda [mailto:dgikunda@google.com]
Sent: 30 September 2010 13:23
To: Richard Ishida
Subject: Re: Urgent: About your talk at the MultilingualWeb workshop, Madrid

Hi Richard,

Great to hear.  I can confirm I'll be attending.  15 minutes sounds good.

Talk Summary:

Sub-Saharan Africa has around 14% of the world's population yet only 2% of the world's internet users.  Low representation of African languages & relevant content remain among of the biggest barriers to this discrepancy.  Google is serious about Africa, and our strategy is to get users online by developing an accessible, relevant and sustainable internet ecosystem.  This talk will explore the relevance facet by sharing insights from two recent community translation initiatives aimed at increasing african language web content.

Projector Needs: Yes, I'd like to present from my computer as first option.   I'll have backups ready incase there are any logistical problems.  I also assume there will be steady internet access, that way i can have the presentation online as an additional backup.

Denis.

Tarehe 29 Septemba 2010 11:45 alasiri, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org> aliandika:

Dear Denis,

Thank you for your proposal to speak at the MultilingualWeb workshop in Madrid in October.  The program committee is pleased to inform you that your talk was accepted for the program.

We have a strong program and we are looking forward to meeting you in Madrid.

We have scheduled your talk in the Users session on on 27 October.  It will last 15 minutes. You can see an in-progress version of the program at http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/madrid/program (please keep this confidential for now).

URGENT:
Could you please confirm your attendance for me today or tomorrow as a high priority. Thank you.

PLEASE ALSO SEND THE FOLLOWING
A couple of sentences summarising your talk (for the abstracts)

Please also let us know whether you need to project from your own computer. Otherwise we would prefer to load talks onto the workshop projector in advance of your talk, to speed up the transitions from one talk to another.  Please be prepared to test your projection at the beginning of the break preceding your session, or before.

SPEAKER GUIDELINES
Because we have so many speakers, timing will be strict during the workshop, so please ensure that your talk fits within the allocated time.  There will be some time for questions at the end of the session, and more time at the end of the workshop.

Talks should ideally identify the following with relation to your topic:
       1. existing best practices and/or standards that are relevant
       2. gaps that are not covered by best practices and/or standards
       3. new standards and best practices that are currently in development

Speakers are asked to focus on describing practical ways in which the topic of their talk enables people to meet the challenges of the multilingual Web, rather than to focus on technical details. Given the diversity of topics at the workshop, speakers should also pitch their talk at a level that will be understood by attendees who are unfamiliar with the topic area.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,
Richard.

============
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/

cc. Executive program committee

--
Denis Gikunda | Localization Manager - Africa | Google |
Switch Board +254 20 360 1000 | Mobile +254 714 571 405 | Fax +254 20 360 1100

Subscribe to Google Africa Blog: http://google-africa.blogspot.com

7th Floor, Purshottam Place, Westlands Road
P.O. Box 66217-00800 Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya
--
This email may be confidential or privileged. If you received this
communication by mistake, please do not forward it to anyone else, erase all