Re: What to do about newlines in attribute values?

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 5:53 PM, David Lee <David.Lee@marklogic.com> wrote:

> I am still a little confused, please bear with me.
> If HTML5 is so ugly so you use MicroXML instead.
> What bits in MicroXML can you omit to avoid the ugliness and how do these
> bits get regenerated so that you are actually authoring HTML5 ?

I'm not personally a big champion of MicroXML as
better-way-to-author-HTML5, but this is easy enough to answer nevertheless.
 Just the requirement to "balance" tags prevents the need to apply pages
upon pages of interpretive rules (and I do mean pages upon pages; check the
spec).  That is where the ugliness really comes in.

There is nothing that needs to be "regenerated" to author HTML5.  Good
MicroXML is instantly good HTML5, as long as you observe a few additional,
minor restrictions on comments.  And it is processed in standard mode as
long as you either slap on the bare DTDecl or serve it up with the right
IMT.

> Is this *solely* the providence of the serialization options
> (output=html5) ? or are you envisioning a MicroXML to HTML5 transformation
> tool more complex then this?

As I mentioned above a MicroXML to HTML5 transformation tool would be so
simple as to be almost trivial.

> In either case it seems that the MicroXML document is not itself an HTML5
> document by your own logic (HTML5 is ugly, presuming that MicroXML is not
> so there must be a difference). Therefore most go through some
> transformation  to  become valid HTML5.

I think you've really got hold of the wrong idea here.  See above re: the
actual ugliness in question.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira        http://zepheira.com