Re: What to do about newlines in attribute values?

On 09/14/2012 03:08 PM, David Carlisle wrote:
> On 14/09/2012 18:13, David Lee wrote:
>> Maybe the story for Microxml based languages could "don't do that"
>> ... e.g.
>
> perhaps but it depends a bit on our HTML(5) story. HTML5 parsing
> includes svg (without explicit svg namespace) it just seems that
> saying attribute values have to be a single line is putting a
> constraint on authors to avoid an edge case that rarely causes
> problems in practice.
>
> Do we really want to say that you shouldn't use microxml to author
> html documents such as the example document in the polyglot spec?
>
> David

My read of "don't do that" would be: You can do it if you want to, but
not if you want predictable behavior.

It's a recommendation rather than a restriction?

  If we say that is implementation-dependent whether attribute
whitespace is normalized, that would make it clear that applications
should not rely on any particular normalization behavior.

-Mike