Re: 11 - whether "--" and % are allowed in comments, is > allowed in a PI

On Wed, 2012-09-05 at 22:26 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> Liam R E Quin scripsit:
>
> > Are we also requiring a space in <br /> as opposed to <br/> ?
>
> I believe you are conflating the old HTML4/XHTML 1.x polyglot requirements
> with HTML/XHTML5 polyglot.  No space is required for HTML5 validity.

The space is only required if you want your Web page to work in pre-HTML
5 mode. A necessity in practice in many (most?) cases.

If µXML is to work in HTML user agents, the XHTML 1.x rules still apply,
seems to me.

> By the way, representing a void element (HTML5 jargon for an element
> whose content model is EMPTY) with a start-tag/end-tag pair is
> invalid, but only in the case of "<br></br>" does it have bad effects.
I suspect it can have bad effects in other cases, but that you have to
work harder to produce them (e.g. with CSS and display: block).

But we're veering off-topic I think.

Liam

Co-author, 5th edition, "Beginning XML", Wrox, 2012.
No, Beginning XML is not just "X". :)