Re: 6. Are bare DOCTYPE declarations allowed?

On 09/04/2012 11:45 AM, Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> I think we can have human-readable documents in the vocab of choice in
> MicroXML and then have them transformed to or dressed up as HTML at
> the edges of the toolchain.  That's the predominant approach today.
>  There is very little use of XHTML, even XHTML5.  Data people use XML
> assembled from their DBMS and fling it at XSLT.  Content people use
> richer vocabularies (e.g. DITA, Docbook, etc.), or wizards that do the
> same under the bonnet.  I find "<!DOCTYPE html>" a rather large
> addition for a rather small use case.

I agree.  I guess I am opposed to DOCTYPE in any form (as it is in
John's initial grammar, right?).  Consider the confusion if <!DOCTYPE
html> is allowed but not other kinds of DOCTYPE.  It's not the number of
characters that make this large, but the mental history it conjures up.

-Mike Sokolov