Re: Starting point

On 24 July 2012 08:51, James Clark <jjc@jclark.com> wrote:
>>> - empty element tags eg <foo/>
>>> - comments
>>
>> empty elements and comments are essential, however
>
> I would lean towards including them, but I think we need to ask why
> and make a reasoned argument for them.
>
> I can think of arguments against them:
>
> - empty element tags increase complexity without increasing expressiveness
> - XML comment syntax is really verbose/complex/ugly; JSON seems to
> have managed just fine without comments

One of the big complaints about xml is verbosity, so that reason alone
is enough for me.  Plus a 'micro' format that was more verbose than
its predecessor...?  :)

XML comments are ugly and frustrating at times, but config files need
comments.  Allowing for nesting somehow would be good.

JSON as far as I've ever used it doesn't need comments, they don't
make sense as no one gets to eyeball the JSON in its short life
between construction and consumption.

Fwiw, I've only ever used JSON in a php/xquery to jquery set up -
maybe there's more to it.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com