Re: xml:* attributes

On 16/08/2012 17:38, John Cowan wrote:
> Again, too rigid for me.  Why not say that "p" elements must work or
> be banned?
>
> Anyway, what counts as "working"?  The xml:id spec is careful not to
>  require that xml:id values be unique, though it does require that
> they be NCNames.  (I was against that requirement myself, but it was
> pointed out that upper layers might break if they got ids that were
> not NCNames; still, in the absence of validation this is still
> possible).

p isn't mentioned in the micro-xml spec (and rightly so:-)
Furthermore if someone were taking the output from a micro-xml parser
and making an html renderer they would have enough information about p
from the information in the micro-xml data model reported by the parser.
(Just whether it is there or not).

If the micro-xml spec specifically allows xml:id attributes in the
syntax the micro-xml parser should report enough information in the data
model to make it work.

Allowing them in the syntax but defining a data model that doesn't hold
enough information to make them work seems a strange choice to me.
The only reason for wanting to call your attribute xml:id rather than
foo is to make it act like an ID. If we are not going to put ID typing
in the data model then we should ban xml:id attributes.

David