Re: Names beginning with "xml"

On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 17:14 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> What do we do about the statement in XML 1.0 that names beginning wiht
> "xml"

People do today use "xml" as a top-level element name in XML; even
though they shouldn't, it's fairly common practice.

When we did XML in the first place I wanted to define an xmlhead as a
standard place for metadata, perhaps with an xmlbody for symmetry. The
reaction at the time was that we couldn't take names away as people
might already be using them (but then we took xml* away anyway, and
later introduced xml:*). But I think it's not worth it, and the success
of XSLT has meant we don't need an xml:head.

If xml:* is already reserved I don't see a need to reserve xml* as well.

Co-author, 5th edition, "Beginning XML" - Wrox, July 2012
``He died of an autumnal fever,
          which was brought on by an intemperate eating of melons''