RE: The xml: prefix in attributes

On 14 August 2012 15:57, Uche Ogbuji <uche@ogbuji.net> wrote:
> I propose that MicroXML support at least the xml: prefix in attributes.  For
> this iteration this would be the only allowed use of colons in attribute
> names.
>
> For me the biggest reason for this is to support xml:lang, though I think
> xml:space and xml:id are also very useful to support (whether or not these
> are covered in the spec and data model is a different question).  xml:base
> has also come up.

-1, on the priciple that it is extra baggage. The feature can be achieved
more simply, lang='de' etc. Also that it is an exception "The only use of :..."

Micro XML?

regards
==================================

Agree with Dave.
The simplest solution with the most usability in my mind is no colons in names period.
Possibly even 'reserving'  xmlns=  as not allowed or atleast "beware" ... why ?
so that the data model is then compatible ... no namespaces *period* using either a uXML , XML 1.0 or XML 1.0 + NS processor you get the same basic data model
for elements and attributers.   A simple localname and an empty namespace.
And without external entities the use case for xml:base is fairly small ...  Relative links can be expressed in the app layer like HTML does.

David Lee
Lead Engineer
MarkLogic Corporation
dlee@marklogic.com
Phone: +1 650-287-2531
Cell:  +1 812-630-7622
www.marklogic.com

This e-mail and any accompanying attachments are confidential. The information is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this e-mail communication by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by returning this message to the sender and delete all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.