Re: MicroXML design goals

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 9:14 AM, James Clark <jjc@jclark.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM, John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
> wrote:
> > James Clark scripsit:
> >
> >> I would want MicroXML documents to be able to include xml:lang
> >> attributes, but personally I would prefer MicroXML not to include a
> >> specification xml:lang.
> >
> > I originally thought so too, but I think it follows from the goal (which
> > is not written down, but which both of us have assumed from the start)
> > that the MicroXML spec be self-contained.
>
> I am not sure I see how it follows (assuming we are allowing prefixed
> attributes generally). From the MicroXML perspective, what's special
> about the "xml:" attribute prefix?  Can we not treat it as just
> another prefix?

I think the main thing is that we do not have to support some version of
XML namespaces in order to admit xml:, but we do have to do so in order to
admit all prefixed attributes.  That would save us some complexity in the
data model, and in the syntax.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira        http://zepheira.com