Privacy/Security review comments on draft Media WG charter

From: Francois Daoust <fd@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 09:58:33 +0000
To: "public-media-wg@w3.org" <public-media-wg@w3.org>
Hi Media WG participants,

The charter of the Media WG expires at the end of May, and the group
needs to be re-chartered. The updated draft charter is at:
https://w3c.github.io/charter-media-wg/

I'd like to draw your attention to three issues raised during
privacy/security review of the draft charter that need to be resolved
before we can move forward.

- First one is around clarifying the requirements around fingerprinting
guidance, and calling out mitigation:
https://github.com/w3c/charter-media-wg/issues/16

Some text was integrated in the success criteria section already to call
out mitigation strategies, with a pending pull request to further
clarify the text:
https://github.com/w3c/charter-media-wg/pull/22

- Second one is around documenting architectural alternatives to weigh
pros and cons with regards to the fingerprinting surface, and seek
horizontal review when a choice is made:
https://github.com/w3c/charter-media-wg/issues/20

The issue contains possible text that could be incorporated in the draft
charter.

- Third one is around the current plan to handle access to the EME
extension to find existing sessions:
https://github.com/w3c/charter-media-wg/issues/19

I'd appreciate if you could look into these issues and either comment on
them directly or get in touch with me to share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Francois.