Re: ACTION-178: Review the complete document, remove unnecessary editorial notes before publication (Media Fragments Working Group)

On 23 jun 2010, at 02:11, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 5:46 AM, Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl> wrote:
>>
>> On 22 jun 2010, at 01:01, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>> We could also just introduce a section 5.x that would describe how it
>>> can work with RTSP - I don't think there is that much to do, since all
>>> the protocol stuff should already work - it just needs to be put
>>> together (at least for the time dimension).
>>
>> I'm slightly reluctant to do this, at this stage. I think we should just say "it's doable". The guidelines about the meaning of media fragments should make clear what needs to be done.
>>
>> RTSP is really pretty much the same as file: here (and, actually, the same holds for mms: or any other scheme that could be used to transfer continuous media data).
>
> Well, maybe then we should not mention RTSP at all?

We could do that, too.

But, what I like about the references to other protocols is that it makes people realise (hopefully) that the URL (fragment) syntax isn't restricted to http: urls, and is actually protocol-independent. For the query syntax this is true to a somewhat more limited extent too (it's only implementable if there actually is a server on the "other side").