Re: dropping 's' and quoting of strings

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:41:29 +0800, Raphaël Troncy <raphael.troncy@cwi.nl>
wrote:

> Dear Philip,
>
>> 1. Drop the trailing s from the npt syntax, which seems not to serve any
>> real purpose as it only adds (a little) complexity but doesn't help
>> disambiguate from any other form. It also isn't what is used in RTSP, if
>> we want to align.
>
> Yes, we agreed on this one and Yves has an action to do this correction.
> Feel free to synch with him to perform this change.

OK, great!

>> 2. Drop the 'quotes' around strings, which are completely unnecessary
>> when spaces have to be percent-encoded anyway. Simply following the
>> rules for splitting name-value pairs yields a string with any special
>> characters decoded.
>
> Hum, there might be objections here. We mandate quotes for the track and
> id dimensions for handling all special characters. How you will deal
> with an id written in Japanese?

It has to be percent-encoded just like non-ASCII characters anywhere in a
URL. For example, the Japanese Wikipedia mainpage is
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/wiki/%E3%83%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%83%9A%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8,
it's just displayed nicer most browsers.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer