Re: video aspect use case

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> Hahaha. :-)
>
> So, would Silvia expect her TV to request a 16:9 version of her videos? Or
> would it rather be that the TV understands from the media format that it is
> a 3:2 video and does the necessary black borders by itself? I guess, I still
> struggle to see why it needs to be a URI fragment parameter and what would
> be expected to be done by the server as a reaction to that parameter.

The television would request a 16:9 fragment of the video (or version of
the video, depending on the outcome of ? vs #) to avoid doing the cropping
internally.
If the video is in 16:9 the server will do nothing, if in 3:2, the server
will crop according to what is the best algorithm for that file (ie: there
may be extra knowledge server-side to figure out how to crop in a nice way
the video).

  > > Thanks,
> Silvia.
>
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org> wrote:
>

>> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/WD-media-fragments-reqs/#scenario5.8
>> [[
>> Silvia's television is brand new and with a display in 16:9, however she
>> has video on her media server that are in 3:2 format. To avoid paying a
>> premium in network fees, she would like the television to request only what
>> can be displayed to avoid wasting bandwidth.
>> ]]
>>
>> --
>> Baroula que barouleras, au tiéu toujou t'entourneras.
>>
>>        ~~Yves

         ~~Yves