Re: Combining media fragments with other time-clipping methods

On  27-Nov-2008, at 00:09 , Dave Singer wrote:

>> On 26 nov 2008, at 01:27, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Jack, all,
>>>
>>> This is indeed a very fundamental problem and has to do with
>>> exposing
>>> the context of the resource or not. I am very torn on this issues.
>>>
>>> For example, when a browser plays back
>>> http://www.example.com/myvideo.ogg#t=20s in a Web browser for a
>>> HTML5
>>> video element, would we want to see the timeline with an offset or
>>> without?
>
> t=20s could be:
> * a clip from 20s to 20s
> * the whole myvideo, but start playing at 20s (as if the user had
> dragged teh slider to 20s before playback)
> * 20s to the normal end of the media, with material before 20s removed
>
> The first is not very useful, but both the others are.  However, the
> second is not a fragment, but a start-playing-at.

Dave,
you're right, but I was only concentrating on the combining of
fragmenting here, not on syntaxt or other details. So I used '#t=20s'
to mean something like "the fragment starting 20s into the video and
continuing until the end".

The discussion about the other two interpretations is ongoing, a few
months ago I coined the term "in context" and "out of context" for the
difference (or, actually, re-used a term we're using in-house for the
difference). We're still looking for a better and/or generally
accepted term for this.

Both are indeed useful, and which one is needed in a specific
situation depends on the application. Maybe this is application as in
"runnable program" or "plugin module", but I'm more and more convinced
it can also be application as in "what the embedding document author
has in mind", or even "what the end user viewing this piece of media
wants".

Goldman