Re: Backwards compatibility and the use cases and requirements draft

Ah yes, that's just the wiki page, but we will indeed put a version of
this into the use cases and requirements section of the specification.

I've added a blurb at the end of the "side conditions" section on that
wiki page about fallback solutions. After having thought about it a
bit more, it is probably not a good idea to do the full media resource
download by default. For example, think about a media fragment URI to
an offset of 15 hours into a 20 hour long video for a 2 min long
fragment. Think about such a request on a mobile phone. With almost
certainty, you do not want your phone to just go off and download the
full resource instead of the 2 min excerpt.

So, I think the user agent should inform the user of the failed
fragment URI and give the user the option to get the full resource,
but not do it by default.

Also, if your user agent does not support media fragment URIs, then it
will by default send a request for the full resource to a media server
(since the #-part of the URI is only a client-side interpreted part of
the URI).