Re: CSP as a signal for permission persistence (was Re: Comments/Questions on Media Capture Streams – Privacy and Security Considerations)

My initial design thoughts would tend towards use of HTML5 sandboxing (perhaps delivered by CSP) to place a document in its own origin and so drop privileges implicitly.  Any other approach is somewhat suspect, because if the document you want to restrict is still same-origin and can run script, it can always open an iframe to another resource at the origin that doesn't drop privileges and do what it wants by manipulating that.

If you want to permanently drop permissions until granted again, (instead of just exempting certain resources from accessing them) either adding that capability to the Permissions API or extending Clear Site Data would be good paths forward.

-Brad

From: Nick Doty <npdoty@w3.org<mailto:npdoty@w3.org>>
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 1:12 PM
To: Bradley Hill <hillbrad@fb.com<mailto:hillbrad@fb.com>>
Cc: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com<mailto:ekr@rtfm.com>>, Mathieu Hofman <Mathieu.Hofman@citrix.com<mailto:Mathieu.Hofman@citrix.com>>, "public-media-capture@w3.org<mailto:public-media-capture@w3.org>" <public-media-capture@w3.org<mailto:public-media-capture@w3.org>>, "public-privacy (W3C mailing list)" <public-privacy@w3.org<mailto:public-privacy@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: CSP as a signal for permission persistence (was Re: Comments/Questions on Media Capture Streams – Privacy and Security Considerations)

Thanks, these are good points, and very useful, especially as we had heard this CSP suggestion in multiple places.

Regarding the earlier suggestion and the larger question about sites that might want to avoid persistence of a permission, my understanding of the WebRTC discussion at TPAC was that the most promising option, if the group were to address this use case/mitigation, was to have a method for revocation, either as part of getUserMedia or as a general part of the Permissions API. So, for the use case of a site that asked for camera access just for an avatar image, say, they could request permission and subsequently revoke any permission that might have been stored after the user profile image section of signup is finished. That would also help for a user logging out of the service, perhaps.

(That might be repetition for some people who were present at those discussions, but I thought it was worth catching people up on the lists.)

Thanks,
Nick