Re: Syntax of new constraint proposal

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Harald Alvestrand
<harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:
> On 05/19/2014 02:13 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 4:31 AM, Cullen Jennings (fluffy)
>> <fluffy@cisco.com> wrote:

>>> yah, that is even clearer - but the require things is still confusing. What about
>>>
>>> videoCfg = [
>>>     { constrain: ”width”, min: 640, ideal: 1920 },
>>> ];
>>
>> Or to express the same semantics as the first example, maybe:
>> videoCfg = [
>>     { constrain: ”width”, min: 640, ideal-min: 1920, ideal-max: 2560 },
>> ];
>>
>> TBH I really quite like this. It turns the constraining around from
>> listing the attributes, then listing the requirements, then the
>> optional (but preferred ones) to grouping all information together by
>> constraint feature.
>
> Silvia, I have absolutely no idea what the semantics of the thing you
> have just typed is, or how it would generalize to various combinations
> that have been put forward as use cases.
> Since this thread started off with "required", I have no idea how you
> would express the difference between required stuff and non-required
> stuff in that syntax.

I interpreted the semantics of this proposal from Cullen:
videoCfg = {
 require: ["width"],
 width: { min: 640 },
 advanced: [
    { width: { min: 1920 } },
    { width: { max: 2560 } } ]
};

to mean:
I want width to be a min of 640, but preferably between 1920 and 2560.

Therefore my adjustment of his changed proposal to include the range
of preference rather than a single "ideal" value.

> But generally:
>
> I do NOT think this is a good time for coming up with more proposals.

Take that up with Cullen, who started the thread.
I personally wasn't aware that we had already changed the Syntax again, sorry.

Regards,
Silvia.