Re: getCapabilities() as both static and object method?

On 05/16/2014 06:21 AM, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey wrote:
> On 5/15/14 9:39 AM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>> I ignored the UA's possible prompting in the descriptions; the
>> "Sorry" messages would come from the error handlers in the
>> Javascript, handling the failure callback from getUserMedia.
>
> Your example is a strawman.

Please, let's talk about the arguments instead of trying to make
accusations about their quality. This was my attempt to distil down into
an example the high points of a discussion with a couple of my
development team; I may have done a bad job, but that doesn't mean the
concerns aren't real.

> Mandatory constraints let software probe without bothering the user
> until there's something to bother the user about. If there's a
> difference here, it's not this.
>
> Why did we invent a whole language to solve this prescriptively -
> "Here's what I want" - to just ask "what do you have?"

That argument doesn't contain enough detail for me to evaluate it.

We've been living in the tension field between "I want to know so that I
can decide before I ask" and "I want to state what I want and get the
best you can do for me" for several years; the current state of play has
some aspects from each side.

To my mind, the questions we're debating aren't between black and white,
it's between "somewhat darker" and "a little bit lighter".

Much harder question.

--
Surveillance is pervasive. Go Dark.