Re: New Editor's draft (v20140321)

On 3/24/14 2:45 PM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> On 03/24/2014 04:35 PM, Mandyam, Giridhar wrote:
>>
>> ØSorry, re-reading your post I see you said "avoid any UA-introduced
>> processing delay". I hope you meant driver, or my answer makes no sense.
>>
>> Actually -- no, I did not mean driver.  I don't expect the UA to be
>> able to be able to detect any kind of post-processing in the driver,
>> and a static table may not work in this case anyways as drivers can
>> be dynamically installed or replaced.  But your answer is also valid,
>> just for a different situation.
>>

> I don't understand what point is being discussed here - the API model
> doesn't expose any distinction between the UA and the driver, so this
> is (in my opinion) an internal implementation matter.

The spec justifies getNativeSettings() by describing operating systems
and native device APIs as being distinct from the User Agent, so I think
we're at the right level.

I agree with Harald that to the API, the UA and its OS drivers are one
and the same. However, I wanted to assure Giri that I don't think UAs
would voluntarily invalidate their own constraint model, and that the OS
drivers are the reason for this method (except for echoCancelation perhaps).

.: Jan-Ivar :.