Re: New Editor's draft (v20140321)

On 03/21/2014 03:37 PM, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey wrote:
> On 3/21/14 9:07 AM, Adam Bergkvist wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> A new version of the editor's draft is available.
>>
>> Dated version:
>> http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/archives/20140321/getusermedia.html
>> Living document: http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/getusermedia.html
>>
>> Changes include:
>>
>>     Bug 24928: Remove MediaStream state check from addTrack() algorithm.
>>     Bug 24930: Remove MediaStream state check from the removeTrack()
>> algorithm.
>
> Thanks!
>
>>     Added native settings to tracks.
>
> Use-case please? Where was this discussed? It is unclear what this is
> intended to solve.
>
> Looking at the language for  getNativeSettings(), I have concerns
> about this API: " Note that both the track settings and the native
> settings are snapshots and can change without application involvement."
>
> Native settings that can change. Are we supposed to poll reactively
> for changes to "native" settings after we've already gotten the wrong
> thing? That seems awfully late. I would think that what's native about
> any source (or anything) would be almost entirely deterministic, and
> discoverable ahead of time, with something like getCapabilities().
>
> So if anything, I think we're extending in the wrong place here.
>
> I am, however, impressed by how this got in here so expediently. ;-)

Just to un-impress you a bit :-) .... this is an attempt to put down a
concrete implementation of an understanding some of us reached at
discussions at the Berlin IETF, July 2013.

The understanding was that there may be times where an app needs to know
what the state of the underlying source was, independent of the
properties of the tracks it's producing. I'm not sure how real that need
is, but we agreed at that time to try to express it in some fashion;
this is the first attempt.

--
Surveillance is pervasive. Go Dark.