Re: Initial draft of mediacapture-output spec posted

On 23 December 2014 at 08:19, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com> wrote:
> A use case for supported sample rates/bit depths?  Well, any decent digital
> audio workstation (and even non-decent DAWs) enable the user to select the
> appropriate bit rate for a connected device, to get the best quality (i.e.
> not being multiple-resampled).  Even just for the use case of trying to hook
> into the default audio device appropriately, we need to understand its basic
> capabilities.

I wasn't looking for you to try to convince *me*, I was merely
expressing what I saw as the constraints.  I personally have no
objection to surfacing more useful information, particularly if you
are willing to contribute work, but there may be others who are
concerned about any potential to delay the existing work.

> Realistically, the fingerprinting surface area here is relatively minimal -
> and just not talking about it in the spec doesn't make it larger or smaller.

That's not an argument that holds water.  If you look at the spec [1],
you can see how we've dealt with this thus far.  It's probably not a
bad idea to follow that model unless you want to blow things up.

[1] https://w3c.github.io/mediacapture-main/#access-control-model