Re: Proposal to move sourceID to be integers

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 11:51:10 -0700
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Cc: "public-media-capture@w3.org" <public-media-capture@w3.org>
On 7 May 2013 11:28, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:
> I am wondering if it's equally effective (or ineffective) in terms of
> "avoiding the unconstrained string" to specify that these constraints must
> be valid identifiers out of some identifier space (in this case, the space
> of valid device identifiers).

Yes, that works.

To varying degrees.  The set of valid identifiers might not be known
at the time that the constraint is accepted, but the form of
identifiers should be known, preventing completely unconstrained
strings.  Of course, that's all based on the premise that
unconstrained strings are bad.  I'm not sure that I've seen any
evidence of that (I assume that this came up on the call).