Re: MediaStream ended vs inactive

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com
> wrote:

> On 2013-06-12 00:04, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
>> I think it's helpful to have a permanent "ended" state. For example, an
>> application might handle "ended" (or "inactive") the way Youtube does,
>> and change state to display different UI. It's unexpected and confusing
>> if the stream can suddenly revive again underneath, and would likely
>> lead to application bugs.
>>

> I don't really see these issues if active/inactive is documented properly.
>
> The media elements can be played again after they end.

Yes but only if the application itself calls play() In which case it's not
unexpected.

If a stream can leave its last state, then I think renaming that state to
> active-something, as Jim proposes, makes sense.

I agree.

If the last state is final, then I think we should keep it as ended. But in
> that case, what's the state of a stream created with no args to the
> constructor? It seems like we need a "new" state to represent this since we
> can't use ended == true here. It possible to figure out the "new" state
> right now, but it's not as obvious as the other states.

What I proposed above is that a stream transitions to the "ended" state
when it has no active tracks but did at some point in the past.

Rob
--
q“qIqfq qyqoquq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qyqoquq,q qwqhqaqtq
qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq