RE: questions about direct assignment

I think that noaccess would be useful in a local gUM case:  I want the app to display the camera image on the screen, but don't want it to record it or send it off somewhere else.  I can also see a use case for telling the app "you can record this video locally, but I don't want it sent off anywhere else"  - but I don't know how to express that via origins.

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Thomson [mailto:martin.thomson@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 8:15 PM
To: Jim Barnett
Cc: Stefan HÃ¥kansson LK; Robert O'Callahan; Adam Bergkvist; public-media-capture@w3.org
Subject: Re: questions about direct assignment

On 5 June 2013 16:04, Jim Barnett <Jim.Barnett@genesyslab.com> wrote:
> are we sure that equal origin (= full access) should be the default?

Personally, I'm not sure, but my assessment of consensus is that the current default is what people prefer.  That isn't consistent with safe-by-default, but it's hard to make peerIdentity a default, so the only viable choice I see is between site-accessible and noaccess.

I'm not sure how noaccess is useful in anything other than WebRTC scenarios, so it would be difficult to justify making it the default.

> Could a user set a different default?

The user can be informed of the constraints when granting permission and can choose to deny or allow.  Cranking the restrictions up doesn't make sense.