Re: Use-case: Auditing

On 16/07/2013 2:26 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 16 July 2013 09:59, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
>> A multiparty video chat is initiated. An automated peer joins the call and
>> captures all incoming video to disk in the same format that was used over
>> the wire (meaning, without having to re-encode it).
>>
>>      The specification only seems to deal with browser peers for now. How do
>> you plan to address the above use-case?
> The scenario you describe isn't fully specified.  Does the browser
> peer connect directly to the recording entity, or is the media
> forwarded from an MCU?
Hi Martin,

I specifically omitted this part of the description because I don't
think it matters. The media capturing should take place on the Auditor,
regardless of the network architecture.

> In either case, I believe this to be out of scope.  There are groups
> in the IETF who are dealing with this scenario (the siprec WG in
> particular), but this is mostly just a matter for the signaling layer.

     I disagree. It is a common use-case (think Enterprise auditing,
reviewing customer support calls, etc) that came up a lot during the
WebRTC World conference. Video recording was the #1 requested feature
for most developers I spoke with. We can't expect these end-users to
write a custom solution that taps into the signaling layer.

     I propose exposing this at the API layer, not just the signaling layer.

Gili