Re: VideoStreamTrack: takePhoto()

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> It seems to me easy to add support for futures later, right? As in, we could
> ship the existing callback-based API and later the browser implementation
> can switch to futures internally, expose a DOM Futures API and easily also
> continue supporting the old API on top of futures. Suboptimal but not
> disastrous.

For a callback-based API that's relatively straightforward. For one
based on events you'll still need to keep all the event-related
machinery around which would suck. But since we can switch now I don't
see why we'd wait.

> (This is different to mistakes like UTF-16, where widespread use of
> charAt()-like APIs makes switching implementations to UTF8 strings very
> challenging.)

(If indeed the choice was between those. And the mistake is 16-bit
code units, not UTF-16 (which cannot express surrogates). JavaScript
came out March '96, surrogates arrived July '96; could have been fixed
in time for NN4 I suppose...)

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/