Re: Rationalizing new/start/end/mute/unmute/enabled/disabled

On 04/04/2013 06:42 AM, Randell Jesup wrote:
> On 4/3/2013 2:04 PM, Glenn Adams wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org
>> <mailto:randell-ietf@jesup.org>> wrote:
>>

>>     One thing I really want to see described (doesn't have to be in
>>     the spec) is how an application can provide a "Hold" operation
>>     where live video is replaced with a video slate and/or
>>     pre-recorded animation/audio, and do it without an offer/answer
>>     exchange.  The MediaStream Processing API would have made this
>>     fairly simple, but since we don't have that, we need to define
>>     something.  WebAudio (if/when implemented) may help (with some
>>     pain) for the audio side, but doesn't help us with video.
>>

>> Have you looked at
>> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/media-source/media-source.html
>> ?
>>

> MediaSource is focused on encoded streams, not raw audio/video data.
> I don't think it helps us with this issue (or helps us at all with
> anything related to PeerConnections or getUserMedia/MediaStreams).
> (I'm no expert on MediaSource, but I believe I'm correct on this.)

I believe the proponents of MediaSource understand the need to create a
MediaStream from a MediaSource, in the same way as is done for WebAudio.

I do think of the concepts as symmetrical:

MediaStream -----> Recorder ----> ArrayBuffers

ArrayBuffers -----> MediaSource ---> MediaStream

(lots of details omitted)