Re: recording

From: Timothy B. Terriberry <tterriberry@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 05:59:27 -0800
To: "public-media-capture@w3.org" <public-media-capture@w3.org>
Sunyang (Eric) wrote:
> Why only use timeslice, can we have a size argument, for example, 2M, 5K etc.

Because buffering media based on size is a terrible idea, and we should
discourage it. Opus can represent 5.1 seconds of digital silence in 1047
bytes (including all container overheads), at which rate 2M would be
almost 3 hours of data (2 hours, 50 minutes, 15.35 seconds). But if
there's active video, it could be just a couple of seconds of data. I
cannot tell you how many media players break on playing back live
streams with silent segments because they insist on buffering them with
size-based---rather than time-based---buffers.