Comments on scenarios doc - 9 Feb Version

Travis

Some additional suggestions

(1) I suggest we move section 5.10 capturing media stream to be a new subsection in section 2, as it is a major use case.

(2) section 2.1, hat scenario

Add (after list 1-7)

"Note that the permissions Amy has given are not persistent , so every subsequent use of the webcam or microphone will require Amy granting permission.
This is to avoid the possibility of unauthorized camera or microphone use after Amy finishes sharing her hat information."

(This is in contrast to 2.2 Election podcast which assumes persistent permission).

(Although one could image a "life cam").

(3) section 2.2 election podcast

are the persistent permissions based on time, or just general permissions? Is this permission aspect in scope for the API work here?

Additional item  "Schedule by time period video and audio capture permissions."

(4) section 2.4 video diary

Add
7. Integration of video audio capture with battery status to enable save and termination.

(5) 2.4.1.2 picture-in-picture

Is this really picture-in-picture, or capture of multiple time-sync'd videos that can subsequently be edited? Sounds like the latter.

(6) Add to 5.1.1 privacy

Add

"In addition, care must be taken that webcam and audio devices are not able to record and stream data without the user's knowledge.
Explicit permission should be granted for a specific activity of a limited duration.  Configuration controls should be possible to enable age-limits on webcam use."

I'm not sure how to address concerns about age and granting permissions, I believe there have been some "child exploitation center" concerns noted in the UK regarding
children being mislead into using video inappropriate. Possible issue.

(7) 5.1.2 privacy Issues

add

4.  Enabling control configuration of webcam based on age?

5. Phishing and other attacks using webcam, audio (possible issue to note)

(8) section 5.4 stopping

rather than muting, isn't the alternative to "pause" the capture?

(9) 5.5 pre-processing

support of something like "zakim, mute george" seems very valuable.

gain control might be tricky if it enhances unwanted background noise on a specific un-muted input.

Sounds like there is enough work in v1 to suggest not including video pre-processing, as is suggested in issue 1.

(10) 5.7.1 privacy

Does  [[A selected device should provide some state information that identifies itself as "selected"]] mean that I could write a monitor app to determine when the
webcam is in use and by which apps? (Or should my request for a device simply fail without reason if in use?
this goes back to the earlier issue of multiple web pages wanting simultaneous access and how to handle it,

(11) Seems that issue of multiple web apps desiring simultaneous access, or interrupting access to a device, warrants separate section and detailed discussion.

Thanks for a great draft.

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia