Re: Changing track sources...

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 10:23:47 -0800
To: Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>
Cc: "public-media-capture@w3.org" <public-media-capture@w3.org>
On 7 December 2012 09:55, Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com> wrote:
> In the call, it was mentioned that we have a requirement to be able to change the source of a track while preserving the identity of the track for the purposes of a PeerConnection and possibly other reasons.

I think that this is solving the wrong problem.  We already have this
capability for <video> tags.  Set the .src attribute to point to a new
URL.

This is only a problem for RTCPeerConnection because it negotiates
streams based on MediaStream(Track) identifiers.  That's the real
problem.

Here's the solution that I propose:

partial interface RTCPeerConnection {
    void addStream(MediaStream newStream, optional MediaStream streamToReplace);
};

This of course has ramifications for how streams are handled.  It's
still unclear whether a track identifier can change; and whether new
streams and tracks are created when a stream is added to
RTCPeerConnection.  c.f. Adam's proposal on Outgoing/Incoming streams.

--Martin