Re: Constraints at request time (Re: Revised Constraints modification API proposal)

On 08/23/2012 09:10 PM, Travis Leithead wrote:
>> Let's please not go all the way back to hints.  We started there and ended up
>> >in a better place with constraints on getUserMedia.  If you want to know the
>> >reasons to go beyond hints, please re-read my post on that many months
>> >ago athttp://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-
>> >capture/2012Feb/0041.html.
> Are optional-only constraints to getUserMedia the same as hints?
>
> In the after-the-fact constraint modification API, the applied constraints would likely all be treated as required constraints (optional constraints really don't make sense at that point--e.g., you*really*  want the settings to be applied) with some kind of failure notification.

Optional constraints certainly make sense in an after-acquisition setting.

In fact, they're the only way one can try to change constraints without
precise knowledge of the platform's capabilities and still be guaranteed
that at least, the stream won't stop.

(example: requesting at-least-25 / at-most-35 fps from a device that is
only capable of doing 15 and 60 fps - at least one constraint will fail
to apply, but the video will still flow)

              Harald