A sketch of a V1 of the media capture API specifciation

From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 17:20:25 +0200
To: "public-media-capture@w3.org" <public-media-capture@w3.org>
Based on what we have so far in the spec, our current implementers'
choices, arguments on the list, and the needs we percieve as minimal,
here's a sketch of a proposal for the question of
"what's in V1 of the spec" - the stuff that we aim towards with our
current milestones.

This implies a V2, which means that we need to define milestones for
when we want that done.
*

      Minimum feature set v1:

In:

  * getUserMedia
  * MediaStream definition
  * Connecting MediaStream to media element via createObjectURL(stream)
  * Two basic constraints: resolution and frame rate for video (height,
    width, aspect ratio, frame rate) x (min, max)
      o Implementation should not be required (“I support default only”
        is allowed)
      o Only optional - not mandatory?

Out:

  * Recorder
  * Direct assignment to media element
  * Image capture API

Open:

  * Application of new constraints to an already existing LocalMediaStream
  * Check/adjust audio level in audio tracks

*
It's possible that the audio level stuff can be dealt with by saying "we
assume the browser also implements the WebAudio API". Adding such a
dependency should be an explicit TF decision.

Harald, for the chairs