RE: Distinguishing video and audio streams to enable fine-grained feature control

> From: Rich Tibbett [mailto:richt@opera.com]
>
> Hi,
>
> During the last few months we've received a number of requests from
> developers to provide more granular control over camera streams provided
> via getUserMedia. Such requests have centered around providing auto-focus
> feature detection/setting/monitoring, zoom detection/setting/monitoring,
> enabling camera flash in a sensible way, and changing the
> rotation/orientation of a webcam stream. Because the current specification
> does not incorporate these features at present we did some brainstorming
> and came up with the following idea.

Overall, I like the extra detail this brings and look forward to iterating on the design. Thanks for the proposal!

> ++ CAMERAINFO
>
> [NoInterfaceObject]
> interface CameraInfo {
>
>             attribute unsigned short facing;
>
>    // facing above will be either 'user' or 'environment'

As we looked at extracting these details for a variety of camera types before (when these tokens were part of the options string for getUserMedia), it proved to be very hard to know what direction a camera is facing. In practice the only time we could positively identify this detail was when the camera was part of an embedded hardware and the manufacture's driver supplied this information. In relation to the proposal, I would suggest adding an "unknown" value for cases where the facing value can't be identified.