Re: follow up on the HTTP status codes for API spec to CR.

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011, Thierry MICHEL wrote:

> Yves,
>
> We have discussed this issue during the MAWG telecon.
>

> These status code are not on the HTTP level, but on a layer on top of it.
>
> As these are on different layers, we have decided to remove the wording and
> references to HTTP to avoid any confusion.
>
> Therefore the "4.7 API Status Codes" section
> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/drafts/API10/CR/Overview.html#api-status-codes
>
> The section does not mentions HTTP nor refers to it.
> The intro paragraph now says:
>
> [This section introduces a set of status codes for the defined API to
> indicate the system behavior. As described in section 4.4, the status code is
> returned as one of the attributes of the MediaAnnotation object returned by a
> method call to the API. These status codes are used on the API level, and
> applied to either client side or server side implementations.]
>

> If you see a coincidence between the Numerical Code and the HTTP staus code,
> it is only a coincidence ;-)

Well, then why choosing the 2xx 4xx 5xx convention for success/client-side
error/server-side errors ? As the link to HTTP is removed, it would
probably be a good thing to document how to extend those codes. Apart from
that, the decoupling changes goes in the right direction, yes.

Also, in the previous email exchange [1], it was hinted that there was a
tunnelling over HTTP in the implementation of this specification, while
the specification itself doesn't call for this, so I hope that
implementation won't forget the 'Web' aspect while implementing that API.
Thanks,

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-annotation/2011Oct/0043.html

         ~~Yves