From: public-media-annotation-request@w3.org [mailto:public-media-annotation-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Felix Sasaki
Sent: mercredi, 6. avril 2011 09:35
To: Pierre-Antoine Champin
Cc: public-media-annotation@w3.org
Subject: Re: New proposal (Re: getting rid of xsd:dateTime ?)

Hi Pierre-Antoine,
2011/4/6 Pierre-Antoine Champin <pierre-antoine.champin@liris.cnrs.fr<mailto:pierre-antoine.champin@liris.cnrs.fr>>
Felix,

On 04/06/2011 12:32 AM, Felix Sasaki wrote:
> 2011/4/5 Pierre-Antoine Champin <pierre-antoine.champin@liris.cnrs.fr<mailto:pierre-antoine.champin@liris.cnrs.fr>
> <mailto:pierre-antoine.champin@liris.cnrs.fr<mailto:pierre-antoine.champin@liris.cnrs.fr>>>
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     there seem to be a recurring problem with dates and the ma: ontology. I
>     encountered it, Martin encountered it, I know that Joakim also did...
>
>     The fact is that most metadata formats we are dealing with allow dates
>     to be more or less precise, like
>
>     * just a year
>
> in XML Schema, this would be gYear http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#gYear
>
>     * a year and a month
>
> this would be http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#gYearMonth
>
>     * a year, a month and a day
>
> this would be date http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#date

You are completely right.

>     * ...
>
>     while xsd:dateTime imposes to us to commit to a 1sec precision...
>
>     I suggest we change the range of date properties to rdfs:Literal, and
>     specify in the documentation that they should be of the form
>     YYYY[-MM[-DD[Thh[:mm[:ss[.fff]]]]]], to be interpreted as an incomplete
>     date.
>
> This would be very bad. RDF in many areas is linked to XML datatypes,
> see e.g. http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-primer/#typedliterals , and I would
> encourage us to follow this approach as close as possible. To solve your
> problems, I would rather say that a date should be one of the above
> built in XML Schema data types.

I probably jumped to fast to the proposal above, for the reasons
explained below. Nevertheless I agree with you that a better solution
would be that section 4.5 be rewritten:

 A Date value MUST be represented using one of the following XML
 Schema datatypes: gYear, gYearMonth, date, dateTime, dateTimeStamp,
 depending on the precision available on the data.

NB: I add dateTimeStamp which is new in XSD 1.1 [1], and imposes a
timezone. I know that XSD 1.1. is not recommended yet, but OWL2 found a
nice way to get around this problem [2].

This would have to be reflected in the API document as well [3].

Now, if I had to do only pure RDF, I would be happy with this solution.
My problem is that we have been asked in some comments to make the
ontology compliant with the OWL2-RL profile which, I think, makes sense
(OWL-RL inferences can be efficiently implemented on top of a rule
language). And OWL2-RL does not support xsd:gYear or xsd:gYearMonth. In
fact, on only support dateTime and dateTimeStamp [4].

Hence my first proposal to use the smallest common denominator
(rdfs:Literal), although we lose some semantics in the process.

Here is a second proposal that I think will suit you better: we leave
the range of 'date' (and its subproperties) *unspecified* in the OWL
ontology, and refer to the document to explain that only date-related
datatypes are expected (and only dateTime[Stamp] are supported by OWL2-RL).

This sounds good to me, so also a +1 like Florian in this thread. I think it might be worthwhile to explain the issue in our spec, basically use your text in this thread, so that users understand the rationale.

Out of curiosity: Do you know why OWL2-RL only supports the above date / time related types?

Felix

On the one hand, I'm afraid that this is only translating the problem
from the ontology to the data: if people publish data using a datatype
not supported by OWL2-QL, will their data be correctly processed by a
OWL2-QL inference engine?...

On the other hand, this would *allow* people to use the correct datatype
if they want to, and/or to be compliant with OWL2-QL if they want to.

 pa

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-2/
[2]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-conformance-20091027/#XML_Schema_Datatypes