RE : getting rid of xsd:dateTime ?

I remember we changed for dateTime to be RL compliant. But certainly in schemas like EBUCore we try to avoid having to have year expressed in dateTime!!  Actually we now systematically separate year from date from time.

JP

De : public-media-annotation-request@w3.org [public-media-annotation-request@w3.org] de la part de Pierre-Antoine Champin [pierre-antoine.champin@liris.cnrs.fr]
Date d'envoi : mardi, 5. avril 2011 17:55
À : public-media-annotation@w3.org
Objet : getting rid of xsd:dateTime ?

Hi all,

there seem to be a recurring problem with dates and the ma: ontology. I
encountered it, Martin encountered it, I know that Joakim also did...

The fact is that most metadata formats we are dealing with allow dates
to be more or less precise, like

* just a year
* a year and a month
* a year, a month and a day
* ...

while xsd:dateTime imposes to us to commit to a 1sec precision...

I suggest we change the range of date properties to rdfs:Literal, and
specify in the documentation that they should be of the form
YYYY[-MM[-DD[Thh[:mm[:ss[.fff]]]]]], to be interpreted as an incomplete
date.

This hinders interoperability a tiny bit, but not as much as inventing a
day and an hour for media resources for which we only know the year.

  pa

To all, some general remarks and conclusions

* as most metadata format are more permissive regarding dates than
xsd:dateTime, I suggest we simply use rdfs:Literal for all our date
properties, and explain that it should be of the form
YYYY[-MM[-DD[Thh[:mm[:ss[.fff]]]]]]