From: public-media-annotation-request@w3.org [mailto:public-media-annotation-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Pierre-Antoine Champin
Sent: mercredi, 25. août 2010 16:10
To: Tobias Bürger
Cc: public-media-annotation@w3.org
Subject: Re: [mawg] action-249: Ontology rev 5 available & call for competency questions wrt. to actor - role part of the ontology

Hi Tobias and Jean-Pierre,

a few remarks:

1/ some properties have multiple domain declarations, e.g. title has
domaine MediaResource and NamedFragment, meaning that everything with a
title is *both* a MediaResource and a NamedFragment, which is obviously
wrong. What you need here is

  ma:title rdfs:domain [ owl:unionOf
      ( ma:MediaResource ma:NamedFragment ) ] .

2/ some properties have complex domains, such as e.g. duration applies
to MediaRessources which are not Images... I understand the rationale of
those constraints, and I agree they are probably *semantically* correct,
but on the *pragmatic* level, they may give wrong impressions, like:
- any media resource must belong to one of the 3 subclasses defined by
the ontology -- not the intent of the ontology, IMHO
- any media resource which is not an Image can have a duration -- as a
(quite farfetched) counterexample, think of a Smell resource

3/ I am a bit confused about Contributor being *equivalent* to
(contributorIs some Agent). I would rather make it a *subclass* of this
restriction; the equivalence semantically would follow from the domain
of contributorIs.

Since this is semantically equivalent, why would I like to change it? It
may be a pedantic distinction, but I find it a little disturbing, as it
creates a kind of cyclic definition with the domain axiom of
contributorIs, and makes it difficult to understand the intent of the
ontology author -- here again, I'm only talking about the pragmatic
level; the semantics of all this is perfectly well defined.

  pa