Re: Status of the API Doc v1.0

Dear all,

I also agree with Raphael and Felix...

+1

The problem with b) is that from the users point of view no changes
arise when adding new properties...but in the real implementation
there will be also only another "switch-case" for the new property
element. By the use of interfaces for getter and setter (as victor
proposed) IMO we will also achieve the needed flexibility. Suggestion
a) will also be a little bit easier for users, esp. if they only want
to use a certain subset of the core properties.

Best,
Florian

Am 09.09.2009 um 11:31 schrieb Felix Sasaki:

> 2009/9/9 Raphaël Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl>
> What kind of API style is appropriate for our API ?
>
> a)     Specific API corresponded to each property (e.g. mawg-
> getCreator(); )
> –      Pro: Enable to provide easy APIs to the developers
> –      Con: Can reduce the flexibility of API because whenever
> defining the new property, new API should be developed
>
> The set of properties provided by MAWG will be finite and fixed once
> the MA ontology is a rec, so I cannot really see a cons here ...
>

> b)    Common API for handling all properties via input parameter
> (e.g. get-mawg-unstructured-value( property-name, …); )
> –      Pro: Can provide the better flexibility
> –      Con: Can provide complex API because of data type of input
> parameter and return value
>
> I can really see the 'pro' here, with a developer hat-on, I cannot
> see where and why I would use get-mawg-unstructured-value( property-
> name, ...) :-(
>
> So my preference is a big a)!
>

> +1.
>
> Felix
>

>  Raphaël
>
> --
> Raphaël Troncy
> EURECOM, Multimedia Communications Department
> 2229, route des Crêtes, 06560 Sophia Antipolis, France.
> e-mail: raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr & raphael.troncy@gmail.com
> Tel: +33 (0)4 - 9300 8242
> Fax: +33 (0)4 - 9000 8200
> Web: http://www.cwi.nl/~troncy/

_____________________________
Dipl. Inf. Florian Stegmaier
University of Passau
Innstr. 43
94032 Passau

Room 248 ITZ
Tel.: +49 851 509 3063
Fax: +49 851 509 3062
stegmai@dimis.fim.uni-passau.de
Quote of the week: Computer. This is a Class-A compulsory directive.
Compute, to the last digit, the value of pi. (Spock)