Re: [mawg] RE: [q] MAWG: Definition of subproperties

Hello Werner, all,

2009/11/19 Bailer, Werner <werner.bailer@joanneum.at>

> Dear Jean-Pierre, all,
>
> > it is a matter of scope as I said before. If you want a vocabulary in
> > RDF to which people map, fair enough and I was hopping this was the
> > original task of the group.
>
> I agree with Pierre-Antoine that defining an RDF vocabulary to map to and
> defining an API to access the properties in this vocabulary are not
> contradicting goals. In fact, this is how some of the mapping approaches
> that several people in the group have implemented so far work internally:
> map to the properties defined in our vocabulary (represented in OWL) and
> then provide getter functions to access these values. So an implementation
> getAsRDF() function that gives you the source metadata expressed with our
> vocabulary.

well, my implementation is XML-based. So I have a very high preference to
not have to implement RDF-processing to be a conformant implementation. So
if we create an RDF vocabulary, it should be only one serialization of our
ontology, and support for it should not be mandatory. Do you agree with
that?

All questions we discuss below about subproperties are IMO independent of
the question "RDF or not". And I see no "yes or no" about sub properties,
but rather "who puts the effort to create them and validate them", validate
meaning against existing data and the respective communities. So IMO we
should decide this pragmatically, judging if there is somebody doing the
work.

Best,

Felix