Re: mapping table 2.0

Eric Carlson wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2009, at 4:50 AM, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure designing "yet another" ontology of abstraction levels is a
>> good idea. Felix already pointed out that FRBR, for example, was not
>> entirely satisfactory to the BBC, and that they had to design their own
>> abstraction hierarchy.
>>
>> I would favor a minimalistic approach with a single and very general
>> property. For that matter, it seems to me that dc:source [1] is a good
>> candidate, and this is what I used in my toy implementation.
>>
>> More refined abstraction hierarchies could be defined by specializing
>> this property and introducing new classes, like the ones in FRBR or in
>> the BBC ontology, but I think committing to one or the other would only
>> limit the scope of our work.
>>
>   I agree whole-heartedly - the first version of this spec should take
> as minimalistic an approach as possible.
>
>   I believe a single abstraction layer will be quite powerful, and
> additional complexity can be built on top of this in the next version of
> the spec *if* it proves to be necessary as people use the first version
> of the API.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a single abstraction layer". I am in
favor of allowing as many layers as one wants. What I don't want is to
commit to a particular *typology* of layers or inter-layer relations.

So I propose: any resource, including of course the media object being
described, may be linked to one or several other resources via a single
generic relation (I propose dc:source).

Anybody can then specialize that relation into, e.g. isCoverOf,
isTranslationOf, isParodyOf... and define subclasses of resources in the
abstraction hierarchy, e.g. Item, Manifestation, Expression, Work...

  pa